Welcome to The Knight Stalker; a blog where PNR Author Shelbie Knight chats about what she loves most - reading and writing!

Do you have a specific Author that you would like to see featured, or a book you would like Shelbie to review? Or possibly you would like to hear occasional updates on Shelbie's own personal journey on the road to publishing? Feel free to email any requests - it's all fair game!

On these pages, Knight rules and brings to life the sexy supernaturals from your wildest imagination!



September 20, 2014

Review: Night's Honor (Elder Races #7) by Thea Harrison

Night's Honor 
(Elder Races #7)
by Thea Harrison

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Trade Paperback/e-book, 304 pages 
Published: September 2nd 2014 by Berkley

Rating: 4 of 5 stars


Synopsis:


In the latest Novel of the Elder Races, a woman finds herself in need of protection—and seduced by honor…


On the run from her former employer, Tess knows that she’s vulnerable on her own amongst the Elder Races. That’s why she decides to audition to become the human attendant of a powerful Vampyre of the Nightkind demesne. But while her position affords her the safety she seeks, her protector turns out to be more than she bargained for.

The right-hand man of the Nightkind King, Xavier del Torro is both terrifying and alluring. While his true nature frightens Tess, she can’t ignore the appeal of his innate sense of integrity and self-restraint. Thrown into Xavier’s world, Tess must quickly learn to navigate the dangers—both to her life, and to her heart. But the biggest threat comes from her own past…

Review:

First, I want to start by saying that I have loved the entire Elder Races Series; Thea has hit gold with this series, of that there is no doubt. However, as I started reading Night's Honor, I found myself in an unusual position... I was a little bored. Meh.


The characters didn't appeal to me as they usually do; I found they had little to offer, at least that stood out right away, nor did their plight draw me in. Honestly, being Julian's second-in-command (of the entire Vampire Nation) and all-around tough ball-busting Vampire, I was expecting more of a bad boy - or a bad ass. Instead, I found a fairly decent, loving, HUMAN acting Vampire beneath the surface and it ticked me off. Isn't that saying something? Ha! Normally, we would be thrilled to have a decent character, but in this case I (still) wanted to see that he had IT.


It wasn't that I didn't like his decency, or more specifically, his humanity, it was that I felt he was SO human, it took away from his naturally more feral vampire nature. I hadn't ever "met" a vampire in this world that didn't have a feral quality about them. This one was so...abnormal. It threw me.


Fortunately, I waged on, convinced that Thea had to have SOMETHING up - I knew there just HAD to be more to it than I was seeing - Thea's past work has just been THAT good.


As to not ruin if for those who have yet to read it, I will say this: by the end, I was satisfied - not thrilled, but satisfied. The problem may be mine; I have become so accustomed to Thea's characters being bad-asses who embrace their feral-sided natures (Dragos, Carlling, etc.) that running into a "tamer" one threw me off-balance. Thankfully, he's not all that tame between the sheets, but you get the idea. =)


In addition, I kept looking for Carling to make an appearance... Where the hell was she? Would she make a showing? I knew the history between her and Julian was, at best, contemptuous and because of this I expected her to at least make a cameo, especially knowing Julian's book is coming next.


As I neared the end, I had to accept that Carling wasn't due for her appearance in this novel and I can only guess the reason for this - Thea is (likely) saving her appearance for when it will have the biggest hit, the most impact - Julian's story. Ah-ha! =)


All-in-all, I enjoyed reading Night's Honor. While it is not my favorite of the Elder Races' Novels/Novellas, it still made a strong showing. And the way it ended? It leaves me chomping at the bit, anxious for Julian's story!


Purchase Links:


Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Author Website:

http://theaharrison.com

No comments:

Post a Comment